Sunday, October 2, 2011

31 Monsters in 31 Days: Day 2 The Honey Island Swamp Monster

The Honey Island Swamp Monster a creature that resembles the famous Big Foot is found in southeast Louisiana's St. Tammany Parish along the Pearl River near Slidell. The monster is locally famous and has had some national attention and I can remember being afraid he was real as a young child when there were reports of Harlan Ford's video evidence of the monster. The Honey Island Swamp monster has a few alternate versions where some believe he is more like an alligator because of a story where a train crashed in the early 1900's allowing several chimpanzee's to escape and somehow cross bread with an alligator. I tend to stick with the hairy version with clawed hands and webbed feet. The interesting thing about this creature is that he is said to have a terrible stench that can only be described as being like the smell of death. His eyes are said to be red or yellow depending on which story you'd like to believe.

In my drawing I went with the version that I know and made the eyes both red and yellow. I am not 100% happy with this drawing the head did not come out as I wanted it to (I may redraw him later) but I think that the look is about right for what I imagined as a child. The colors are a combination of Prismacolor Markers and Copic Markers.

Learn more about the Honey Island Swamp Monster at Honey Island Swamp Monster Official Website


Never go into the swamp alone,
Kevin P. Johnson

All artwork and contents of this blog are Copyright ©2011 Kevin P. Johnson - All rights reserved. Unless otherwise noted.
The Honey Island Swamp Monster - Copyright © 2011 Kevin P. Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment